Beginning in 2010, the Old Boy organization of the South Side Irish RFC, in partnership with the active club, established a scholarship fund to honor our teammate, Gene Moriarty. In addition to being a founding member, captain and president of the South Side Irish RFC, Gene is widely considered to have been the heart and soul of the club.
As a rugby player, Gene led by example. He had a deep understanding of, and respect for the game of rugby. He was always fit, he was an excellent teacher, and while he was a fierce competitor he was also a model of good sportsmanship.
As a person, Gene placed faith, family, and friendship above all. He served our country in the military; and the two graduate degrees he earned are only a small indication of the value he placed on learning and education.
Most of all – Gene was a great guy, a wonderful teammate and someone we loved, respected and miss.
In 2015, the Old Boy organization of the South Side Irish RFC will award the Gene Moriarty Scholarship as follows:
- A scholarship in the amount of $1000 will be awarded to one student rugby player from one of the following high schools: Brother Rice, Mount Carmel, Saint Ignatius and Saint Rita.
- Applications will be accepted from high school juniors and scholarship funds awarded to the winner will be applied toward their senior year tuition.
- Scholarship winners will be chosen by the South Side Irish RFC Old Boy organization using criteria that include but are not limited to: the applicant’s involvement in rugby, school and community activities; academic record, references, evaluation of information provided in the application; and with consideration for the values that Gene Moriarty personifies.
- Fully completed applications are due by May 31, 2015. Submission information can be found on the last page of this application.
- Scholarship winners will be notified in June and they will be recognized at an awards ceremony in September.
HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP.
The Gene Moriarty Scholarship is funded solely by contributions of people and companies like yours. If you would like to support this worthwhile endeavor and assure that these awards can continue, please consider making a donation.